Monday, February 22, 2010

State and City Budgets

Most states and cities are dealing with large budget deficits and can't find any more places to make cuts. I realize my idea would require legislative action and perhaps constitutional change but it is what it is.

My question is, do we really need to fund two elections each year? The burden of these costs is on the state and city governments, IE you and I. How much could these governments save if odd year elections were eliminated? How much more could be saved if everyone changed to a caucus system for nominations instead of a publicly funded primary election? This is the only country I am aware of with such a system where there is a constant election cycle for one thing or another.

If we really want to shrink the cost of government isn't this a good place to start?

I also have problems with the concept of an elected official running an election. The city clerk where I live is one of the few who is a civil employee, not elected to the position. It seems to me that having an elected official running an election that they themselves are running in could be viewed as a huge conflict of interest and an open door to corruption.


No comments:

Post a Comment